Sunday, January 17, 2016

Leftover Cookies

I have a confession to make - I had no idea what I really wanted to bake for this blog post. I knew that I wanted to bake cookies, but that was about as far as my inspiration took me. Did I wanna make big cookies? Small cookies? Stuffed cookies? Super complex, decorated cookies? I didn't know! All I had in my head was ...

Cookies.
Spongebob gets me.
[Source: spoonuniversity.com]

I mean, let's face it, cookies are pretty much amazing. They're one of my favorite sweets to bake ... eat ... share ... You name the reason and I'll usually say yes to cookies.

OMNOMNOM
[Source: giphy.com]

Now, when I finally set off on my baking adventure, I went in with the intention of making Malteser cookies. The finished product wasn't what I had expected (I'll attempt those again one day), but it was too delicious not to share with you. I've ended up calling these "Leftover Cookies" because the basic recipe would be great with any leftover candy that you have lying around. Even my Maltesers were leftovers from a date I went on recently!

(I requested them with the full intention of eating them [they're one of my favorite candies], but I ended up being too nervous to actually consume any. Thanks to that special guy for getting them for me and for not minding that I didn't eat them right away. You're the best).

A wink from me through Scott Pilgrim.
[Source: giphy.com]

And while these cookies are far from healthy (all that butter and sugar), they'd be great with some healthy, leftover ingredients too! Nuts, dried fruit, seeds, oats, you name it. Whatever sounds good to you probably sounds good to me! Let your pantry lead the way. (And be sure to keep this recipe on hand near Valentine's Day ... Easter ... Halloween. Think of all that cheap, leftover candy you can buy at the supermarket)!

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking power
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
Leftover candy/ingredient of your choice!

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2) In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy.

Look at how pretty it was before I mixed it all together.

3) Add eggs and vanilla. Combine.

I love this stand mixer so much. You have no idea.

4) Add all of the dry ingredients, except your leftovers, and mix until combined.

I'm usually lazy and skip sifting the ingredients. Oops.
I should probably work on that.

5) Add your leftover ingredient(s) and mix again until just combined.

I'd eat that right off the beater. 

6) Make 1 inch balls of dough.

Or get distracted by your cat. Either one. 

7) Place your dough on a cookie sheet a few inches apart. (I was able to make roughly 30 cookies).

All da cookies!

8) Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown.

They look so good, guys!

9) Let the cookies stand on the cookie sheet for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Such a photogenic set of cookies.

And there you have it! These are super easy to make and so, so good! Although, the only leftover candy that I can't vouch for is any type of gummy. I've never tried it myself, and probably never will, but if you like that sort of thing in a cookie, more power to ya!

What type of candy or other ingredient would you put in these? Let me know in the comments below! If you have any other questions or comments, leave those below as well.

And, as always, bake on with your bad selves!

Love,
Jackie

1 comment:

  1. Your use of GIFs is always my favorite part. Closely followed by the baked goods themselves. Which are only second 'cause I rarely get to eat them but you know.

    ReplyDelete