Saturday, November 28, 2015

Extra post! Countdown to Christmas

Now that I'm living on my own, I thought I'd take the opportunity to start my own traditions! I figured I'd start with Christmas because:

A) I don't have any decorations or anything really and need to figure out what to do anyway
and
B) Christmas is just magical, period, so why not?!

One of my favorite parts of Christmas is the Advent Calendar!

Wonder what we'll find inside our calendars, Jack!
My grandparents would always send us grand-kids our very own chocolate-filled, cardboard calendars and it always made me feel like the bee's knees! (Yes, I used that phrase. Deal with it). They still send them, actually, and I still feel awful special, but I couldn't pass up the chance to make my own! (I'm apparently a smidge greedy. Oops). And by make, I mean buy one at Target and fill it with homemade goodies and cute little trinkets! So, that's why I'm here! To share some recipes with you and give you some ideas and inspiration for you own Advent Calendars!

Jack's excited. Get on his level!

Recipe #1: Coconut Macaroons

I love anything coconut and these seemed like the perfect addition to an Advent Calendar. The mounds of coconut end up looking like lovely piles of snow. Perfect for the cold, winter season.

Ingredients:
14 oz flaked, sweetened coconut
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
4 large egg whites, room temperature

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

2) In a large bowl, mix the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla together.

Look at this gorgeous shot! I love it too much.
Messy, but worth it!
3) Using a mixer, whip the egg whites and salt together on high until medium peaks form.

Whip it!!!
4) Carefully fold in the egg whites into the coconut mixture until just combined.

It tastes better than it looks, promise.
5) On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place 1 - 2 tbsp mounds of the coconut mixture a few inches apart. Bake them for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Baking time will vary based on the size of your macaroons. Just keep an eye on them.

My first batch was pretty big!
6) Let the macaroons cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

They looked so good!!!
7) And if you so desire, you can melt some chocolate to drizzle on top once they're cool! I added some mini-m&m's to mine as well! I thought it made them look extra festive.

See, instantly more festive.

Recipe #2: Paradise Bark

Another treat that reminds me of the winter landscape, this bark packs a big punch of flavor! It's inspired by tropical flavors, hence the name, and it's a refreshing twist to all of the heavier tasting barks you find this time of year!

Ingredients:
6 oz dried pineapple
2 oz macadamia nuts
7 oz flaked, sweetened coconut
24 oz vanilla almond bark

Directions:
1) Chop up the pineapple and macadamia nuts into smaller chunks.

Chop Chop Chop
Just keep chopping. Just keep chopping. Just keep chopping, chopping, chopping.
2) Mix together the pineapple, nuts, and coconut.

Honestly, I could just eat a bowl of this.
3) Melt the almond bark according to the package directions.

4) Add 3/4 of the coconut mixture to the almond bark and mix until well coated.

5) Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, smoothing down any big lumps.

It's a snow covered field! If you squint your eyes a little bit. ;-D
6) Sprinkle the remaining coconut mixture onto the bark, pressing it in slightly to make it stick.

I'll take the whole slab, please!
7) Allow the bark to set for a few hours before breaking it into bite size pieces! (You can always stick it in the fridge to speed up the process).

Don't go breaking my bark...

Recipe #3: Peppermint Fudge

A staple around the holidays, this fudge reminds me of delicious peppermint hot chocolate. It's nice and creamy, but the bits of candy cane add a needed bit of crunch. Watch out, you may end up eating all of it before you've tucked it away into your calendar!

Ingredients:
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup mini-marshmallows
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp mint extract
Candy canes, crushed into small pieces

Directions:
1) In a medium saucepan, bring the sweetened condensed milk, butter, and salt to a boil. Turn the heat down low enough to let the mixture simmer for a few minutes, stirring constantly so that the mixture doesn't burn.

2) Remove the mixture from heat and add the marshmallows first. Mix until it's smooth.

3) Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth. Again.

4) In a pan of your choice (8x8, loaf pan, etc), lined with aluminum foil and coated with non-stick spray, pour in the fudge mixture. Smooth out the top and sprinkle the crushed candy cane pieces over it, being sure to push them in slightly so that they stick!

I used a loaf pan, myself.
5) Place the fudge in the fridge and allow it to set for at least 2 hours before taking it out and cutting it into bite size pieces.

HA. Like that's a serving size. I'm funny.
And there you have it! Just a few ideas to get the ball rolling on your own Advent Calendars. What's YOUR favorite treat to find in a calendar? Do you prefer to make them yourself or buy pre-made candies? Let me know in the comments below!

SANTAAAAAAA. CAN'T WAIT FOR CHRISTMAS.
And, as always, bake on with your bad selves!

Love,
Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment