Sunday, November 22, 2015

Give 'em the old razzle dazzle

Razzle dazzle 'em!
I need more sparkle in my life.
Guys, I did it. I finally did it. I made a traditional pie completely from scratch! There was blood ... sweat ... and tears ... but I did it! (Eh, I may just be a little dramatic). Ned the Pie Maker would be so proud of me. (Let me know if you need an extra hand at the Pie Hole, will ya)?

Couldn't have said it better myself, Ned.
Are you proud of me, dear reader? I hope so! At least a little? And even if you're not, I wanted to share my experience anyway. Because that's what I do. ;-D Besides, right now is the perfect time to make a pie. Thanksgiving is this Thursday and pies are wonderful treats to share! Or eat by yourself. I'll let you make that call.

Now, instead of making an apple pie, like I had originally planned, I decided to make a Razzleberry Pie. (My title makes sense now, doesn't it? Hehe). Razzleberry pie can come with many different berry combinations - strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, etc. And as much as I love blackberries, I wanted a smoother, hard seed free, filling. That doesn't mean the pie was any less delicious, though! And if you think my berry combination is weird, you can always come up with your own. Baking comes down to personal taste. You've got the power, after all!

So much powah!!!
Side thought: Does anyone else sing "razzleberry dressing" in a little kid's voice whenever they hear or read razzleberry?

He knows what's up.
No? ... Okay, forget I mentioned anything.

On with the show!

Pie Crust Ingredients:
2 cups flour
10 tbsp salted butter, cold - cut into small chunks
1 large egg yolk
1/3 cup ice water

Razzleberry Pie Filling Ingredients:
2 cups frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup frozen raspberries
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp water

Pie Crust Directions:
I have a confession to make. I had to make the pie crust twice. The first time I made it, it just didn't work out at all. Everything ended up in the trash. Many profanities were muttered. It was great. So, don't feel bad if you have trouble either! Pie crusts are hard to make, guys.

1) Put the flour in a large bowl and cut in the cold butter until you form coarse crumbs. It could take a few minutes.

Look at how nice it looks.
I didn't get a picture of the process. Hard to take pictures with dirty hands!
2) In a separate container, whisk together the egg yolk and water.

3) Make a hole in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture.

4) Gradually stir the flour and egg mixtures together. Keep combining until a rough dough is formed. If the dough seems too dry, add 1 tbsp of ice water at a time until it's just saturated enough.

5) Divide the dough in half and form each half into a ball. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap. (Or if you're a doofus like me and ran out of plastic wrap, you can put each ball into a plastic bag. Doh).

All the dough!
6) Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Or even overnight, like I did!

Razzleberry Pie Directions:
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

2) Put all of the filling ingredients into a medium saucepan and simmer on the stove over medium heat until the filling is thickened. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

It snowed in my saucepan!
Getting there. Slowly, but surely!
That's what I'm talking about!
3) On a lightly floured surface, roll out one ball of dough to fit your pie tin. Place it in the tin and let it cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.

I used a fondant roller because I don't have a rolling pin... Huh.
4) Once the filling is cool, pour it on top of your chilled pie crust.

Gorgeous, darling!
5) Roll out the other ball of dough to fit over the top of your pie.

6) Place it on top of your pie and crimp the edges together. I didn't really know what I was doing, so mine ended up looking very rustic! Make it as fancy or as simple as you want.

I love the way my pie looked!
7) Prick holes in the top of the pie dough to allow steam to escape during the baking process.

8) If you so desire, you can make an egg wash out of 1 egg and 1 tbsp of water to brush over the pie crust. It gives it a beautiful color when it's all done!

9) Put the pie in the oven and bake until the crust is golden and the mixture is slightly bubbling. With my oven, it only took 40 minutes. It could take a little bit longer for you!
      - If your crust is getting too brown, cover the pie with aluminum foil to finish the baking process!

10) Take your pie out of the oven and let it cool before serving! If you cut into right away, it'll ooze all over the place!

YUUUUUMMMMMM.
And there you have it! A delicious pie to feast upon this coming Turkey Day. Or any day that you feel like making it, really. All days are good pie days. It was very hard to wait to share this with my family. I wanted to dig into it as soon as it was out of the oven!

Dean Winchester is my spirit animal.
What's your favorite pie to make for the holidays? Or even better, your favorite pie just to eat?! Comment with your favorites down below! Please leave any other comments or questions down below, as well!

And, as always, bake on with your bad selves!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love,
Jackie  

No comments:

Post a Comment